01984 632306

The White House Williton

White House Williton Logo

Williton's Premier Bed and Breakfast

Williton Premier Bed & Breakfast

Group bookings

We welcome family bookings and group bookings so don't hesitate to contact us to arrange discounts. Parking Space Available for up to 14 Vehicles.

Book now

Check Availability & Book Online or call us now on 01984 632 306.

Check availability & book now

History

A brief history

The White House, originally a farmhouse, was built in two parts, the back of the house was built approx. 300 years ago and the Georgian frontage was added around 100 years later. The wall in the front was full height with two gates arches and the semi-circular front lawn was for turning carriages. Our courtyard rooms were formerly the stables and a dairy, the old barn is still there.

In helping with the war effort the White House was used as a hostel for 'land girls' and we recently had the pleasure of meeting a lady who used to work in the kitchen at that time. She said it was a rather risqué time in the buildings history and she remembered climbing out of her bedroom window to have secretly rendezvous with her husband to be.

The house was extensively refurbished in the 1950's when many of the original features were lost, including the fireplaces, but most of the sash windows and shutters are original and still working.

In 1967 the White House was purchased by jazz musician Dick Smith (Bass player in the Chris Barber band) & his wife Kay. They converted it into a hotel and during their 40 years here they established an award winning 'restaurant with rooms'.

The building became Grade II listed in 1971.

An extensive refurbishment program began in May 2007 as The White House Guest House achieved an immediate AA 4 star grading.